FHES is committed to providing all students in Years 7-11 with a stable programme of events and supporting activities to provide them with information and guidance about career opportunities and employment.
The programme is designed to be progressive so that, each year, students will build and develop on the knowledge and skills that they have previously acquired.
The programme will be guided by the Gatsby Benchmarks thus ensuring best practice.
The Gatsby Benchmarks are designed to ensure students:
- Receive a stable careers programme from years 7 to 11.
- Learn from career and labour market information.
- Address the needs of every student.
- Link curriculum learning to careers.
- Has meaningful encounters with employers and employees.
- Has experiences of workplaces.
- Has meaningful encounters with further and higher education.
- Receives personal guidance.
The current careers programme is delivered through a combination of methods:
- PSHE in Years 7 to 11.
- Careers learning in lessons.
- Employer visits to school.
- Work Experience in Year 10.
- Careers 1:1 sessions with a qualified Careers Advisor in Years 10 and 11.
Additionally, there are several targeted events with local colleges and universities.