Face Covering Guidance
Face coverings: Parent and student factsheet
In line with Government guidance, we highly recommend that students wear face coverings in all internal spaces inside school, including corridors and other communal inside areas and classrooms, where social distancing cannot be achieved.
If your son/daughter is exempt, please complete the google form https://forms.gle/YgSRNa9nwjdBdLi97
Please see this website for full details. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/education-and-childcare-settings-new-national-restrictions-from-5-november-2020#ooss
Please see below for frequently asked questions regarding face coverings.
When should my son/daughter wear a face covering?
Students will be highly recommended to wear a mask inside the building:
- When leaving a classroom.
- When in a corridor.
- When they are not sitting at a table in a dining space.
- When in a communal inside area / classroom where social distancing cannot be achieved.
What will my son/daughter need, if wearing a face covering?
Your child needs to come to school with:
- A face covering. We recommend a reusable one so that they can use it more than once, as they’ll need to take it on and off several times during the school day. If this isn’t an option, they will need to bring in several single-use face coverings each day. Their face covering should be secured to your child’s head using ear loops only
- A sealable plastic bag to keep their face covering in when they’re not using it so that it doesn’t contaminate (or get contaminated by) other surfaces in school.
- If you cannot get a face mask for your son or daughter, please contact their tutor.
What is a suitable face covering?
- Reusable OR single use face coverings are suitable and can be purchased online or in shops. They should have ear loops. Examples can be found below.
- Please find guidance here on how to make your own. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering
- Bandanas/scarves, for example, are not suitable face coverings and will not be allowed.
- Face masks must also be appropriate for school and not be of a design which breach the spirit of the school code of conduct.
Appropriate Not Appropriate
How should my son/daughter use their face covering?
- Please watch this video with them from the World Health Organisation so they know how to wear their face covering safely. We will also watch this in class.
- Their face covering needs to cover their nose and mouth when they’re wearing it.
- They shouldn’t touch the front of the face covering or the part that’s touched their mouth or nose.
- They should wash their hands before and after touching the face covering, including to take it off or put it on. They should store it in an individual, sealable plastic bag between uses.
- If it becomes damp, they shouldn’t wear it, and they should replace it carefully.
- Single-use face coverings should be disposed of after use (not in a recycling bin)
How often will a reusable face covering need to be washed?
- Reusable face coverings will need to be washed at the end of each day, ready for your child to wear the next day.
- If your child has taken a spare reusable mask from school, this will also need to be washed before they use it again.
- You can wash and dry reusable face coverings with normal laundry – follow the washing instructions for the fabric and use normal detergent.
What if my child is exempt form wearing a face covering?
- Please complete the google form here. https://forms.gle/NgpCtwkYaqVnLDAR6
- We will speak to students about this so they understand that some young people are exempt from wearing masks.
My child needs to lip read, how will this work if staff are wearing face coverings?
- We will be asking staff to wear visors, rather than masks.
- We have a number of facemasks with clear panels for staff who wish to wear a facemask.
- We will be speaking to students about this.